Thursday, July 25, 2024

Baseball - In the Arts

Edgar Rice Burroughs (1875-1950)
American speculative fiction writer best known for his adventure and fantasy stories, which include Tarzan of the Apes and John Carter of Mars

Burroughs was a Chicago Cubs fan, and one of his poems "O, Yes It's Getting Thick", published in 1911 under the pseudonym Normal Bean, focuses on the Cubbies victories and losses:

My dear, he said at breakfast time,
The Cubs have lost some more,
But as a loser I'm sublime,
A Good Game Loser, that is I'm;
List' not you'll hear no roar......

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
American novelist, short-story writer, journalist and sportsman. awarded the 1954 Nobel Prize in Literature

From an article in the NY Times by Joshua Robinson in 2008:
Speaking with Cubans who grew up while Hemingway lived on the island: "Not sure what to do with 12 and 8-year olds, he would round up boys from the barrio to play baseball with them just inside the black and white gates of the farm. It was during these endless sandlot games that the local children came to know a man who loved baseball..."


Robert Frost (1874-1963)
American poet, known for his realistic depictions of rural life. Awarded four Pulitzer Prizes for Poetry, Congressional Gold Medal (1960), poet laureate of Vermont (1961)
Wrote for Sports Illustrated magazine on the 1961 MLB All-Star Game

Quotes:
"Poets are like baseball pitchers. Both have their moments. The internals are the tough things."
"When I was young, I was so interested in baseball that my family was afraid I'd waste my life and be a pitcher. Later they were afraid I'd waste my life and be a poet. They were right."

No comments:

Post a Comment